I thought I’d write an entire post about this video, which isn’t new (came out in 2010).
Hat tip to Stefan Nilson – I found it on his site.
This is a TED talk by Jamie Oliver, who you may know as the naked chef.
The video is an incredibly compelling presentation of the current state of the obesity epidemic in America, and how he believes it can be largely prevented by radically transforming the country’s food culture.
Some interesting points made:
- While you are watching the clip, 4 people in America will die from diet-related illness.
- For the first time in hundreds of years, children will have a shorter life-span than their parents.
- Diet-related disease is the biggest cause of death.
- Kids are in school 180 days of the year, where they are served fast foods that destroy their health over time.
- Pizza and french fries are considered vegetables in U.S. schools.
- The milk that kids are served at school is loaded with so much sugar that it is equivalent to sugary soda.
- He discusses some potential methods to fight the problem.
The video is 22 minutes long. I highly recommend you watch it. It is horrifying, informative and inspiring, all at the same time.