I want to point out this interview that I think is important.
In it, endocrinologist Dr. Robert H. Lustig (the guy from Sugar: The Bitter Truth) explains what he believes to be the true cause of obesity.
Dr. Lustig is a very respected researcher, with extensive clinical experience in the field, and I value his opinion highly.
Some of the important points in the interview are:
- There are two ways to consider the 1st law of thermodynamics (calories in, calories out).
- Obesity is a defect in fat deposition.
- There are “biochemical forces” that make us eat more and exercise less.
- 90% of obesity is caused by an excess of the hormone insulin.
- Insulin promotes resistance to another hormone, Leptin, which is supposed to tell the brain that it doesn’t need to eat.
- Even though insulin contributes to satiety in the short term, high insulin levels lead to fat storage in the long run.
- The main driving force behind all this is Fructose, leading to an insulin resistant liver which raises insulin levels all over the body.
I highly recommend you check out the interview and pay close attention to his explanations.
It is 15 minutes long and clarifies things that are very important for anyone interested in health.
The dialogue can get a little technical at times (two doctors chatting). If there is something you don’t understand, feel free to ask me in the comments and I will do my best to explain.